M2 Plasmas Lasers Accelerateurs Tokamaks - Large facilities
The master program provides high level teaching in fondamental and applied physics for large scale research facilities, such as particle accelerators for particle physics or synchrotrons and free electron lasers at short wavelengths but also high power laser physics with related laser plasma interactions and tokamaks for magnetic confinement fusion.
In order to provide to the students the skills required to take benefit of the great research programs and the large associated facilities, one month of the programme is organized near large installations with strong international visibility, where courses, tutorials and hands-on sessions accompanied by visits are given to the students gathered with students of other classes:
- SuperconductiveTokamak Tore-Supra/West located at CEA/Cadarache near the future tokamak ITER with the students of the European master degree Erasmus Mundus Fusion-EP;
- Lasers of power LMJ and Petal delivering nanosecond pulses and picosecond pulses located at CEA/Bordeaux with the students of the master degree of physics of the university of Bordeaux;
- Accelerators of the European Center of nuclear research (CERN) close to Geneva, with students,doctorands coming from the universities and laboratories dispersed on all Europe. This winter school is coordinated by the Joint Universities Accelerator School (JUAS).
This multidisciplinary program, bridging engineering and research, can fit student engineers intending to move towards research and university students open to engineering jobs. This cross-training program will offer the students opportunities to integrate either a public research institution (after a PhD) or a leading-edge research and development group in a private company.
Physics: statistical physics, electromagnetism, hydrodynamics, atomic physics, special relativity
Critically identify information collected from various sources.
Rigorously structure analytical, numerical and experimental data and methods.
Autonomously engage in the processes of modeling and understanding complexity.
Coordinate group actions.
Adapt to a working environment; become familiar with its technological, digital and partnership aspects.
Communicate in an international environment, particularly in idiomatic English.
Once they have completed the programme, students will be able to:
- Understand all the problems associated with plasmas in large research infrastructures: theory, simulation, experimentation, instrumentation, control
- Employ knowledge and practical skills in a major research programme;
- Link modeling to experimental reality, in a technological context involving complex and innovative prototypes;
- Communicate in English during scientific work
Students from the GI M2 tend to go into theses in a research laboratory or at Large Research Infrastructures. Some of them may embark on CIFRE theses. A good half of the class may do their theses abroad or in the French provinces. The programme steers students towards the professions of researchers, Research engineers or line managers in national organisations or companies.
Laboratoire de l'accélérateur linéaire
Institut de physique nucléaire d'Orsay
Centre de Sciences Nucléaires et de Sciences de la Matière
Laboratoire de physique des gaz et des plasmas
Laboratoire Charles Fabry
Département de Physique des Particules - DRF/IRFU
Astrophysique, Instrumentation et Modélisation de Paris-Saclay - DRF/IRFU/DAp
Département d'Electronique des Détecteurs et d'Informatique pour la Physique - DRF/IRFU
Département des Accélérateurs, de la Cryogénie et du Magnétisme - DRF/IRFU
Unité de recherche SOLEIL
Laboratoire Interactions, Dynamiques et Lasers - DRF/IRAMIS.
Cours + TD + TP + visites laboratoires.
|Relativité, électromagnétisme, plasmas||2||14||6|
|Projets et organisation des grandes installations||2||20||10|
|Physique et technologies transversales||3||20||10|
|Physique des tokamaks||3||20||10|
|Physique des plasmas-laser||3||20||10|
|Physique des accélérateurs||3||20||10|
|Manipulations auprès des grandes installations||3||36|
Cours + TD + TP + Stage.
|Interaction laser-plasma et fusion par confinement inertiel||3||20||10|
|Haute densité d'énergie et lasers de puissance||6||20||12||18|
All transcripts of the years / semesters validated since the high school diploma at the date of application.
Certificate of English level.
Certificate of English level (compulsory for non-English speakers).
Curriculum EU (description of the units of education followed) of the last two years.
Choice sheet of M2 (obligatory for the candidates registered in M1 at the University Paris-Saclay) to download on https://www.universite-paris-saclay.fr/en/admission/apply-master-programmes.
VAP file (obligatory for all persons requesting a valuation of the assets to enter the diploma).