Ecole doctorale Physique en Ile de France
The admission to the doctoral school Physique en Ile de France is carried out in 2 ways :
- admission via the doctoral school competition
- ongoing admissions
Admission via the doctoral school competition
Thesis proposals are visible : here.
Candidates can apply to this proposals : here.
Candidates must upload a number of documents. This must be done before the deadline, April 30, 2019 at midnight. Candidates admitted to the hearing are selected on the basis of their applications on 17 May 2019. The hearings will take place in Paris on 4 and 5 June 2019. The results are validated by the ED Board on June 7, 2019. The candidates are then informed of the result.
Once admitted, candidates will be able to register administratively from 2 September 2019.
In order to comply with the rules of the Université Paris-Saclay, candidates must pass an oral exam in front of an audition committee. This audition committee is made up of at least 2 senior rechearchers (the thesis supervisor cannot be one of these 2 persons).
The hearing shall consist of:
10 minutes of presentation by the candidate of his/her titles and works as well as a brief description of his/her thesis subject.
5 minutes of questions by the committee.
At the end, the committee writes a report whose model is downloadable below (in French). The committee sends the report by e-mail to the doctoral school.
Registration in 1st year
Steps to follow :
- to be admitted at the Ecole doctorale (please check the admission page)
- register at the University Paris-Saclay via the ADUM portal which will generate the necessary documents for your administrative registration.
- also fill in your form on the EDPIF website.
- You are part of one of the few multi-site doctoral schools, i.e. one that straddles several universities. By default, ADUM tends to consider that your doctoral school is'Paris-Saclay only' and therefore some procedures are not quite the same as in other doctoral schools.
- Unfortunately, you will often have to rewrite the same thing twice on the ADUM and EDPIF sites, all computerized.
You will find many informations in the EDPIF Doctorant guide.
In a first step, create your account on the ADUM platform : ADUM and "créer un compte".
Once this is done, please fill in all that is asked of you.
If some items are too complex to complete at this time, write NA.
Of course, fill everything concerning the title of your PhD, the name of your supervisor, the lab...
1) You ares asked to upload many documents. Feel free to ask your supervisor for help since many parts are in French.
2) You can then download, print the paper documents and have the 3 documents signed :
- formulaire d'inscription
- convention de formation
- charte du doctorant
To obtain the signature of the doctoral school's management, you can send these documents by post (not very recommended) to :Université Paris-Sud
LPS - Bât. 510
Mme Sabine Hoarau
91405 ORSAY Cédex
Other possibility : make an appointment with M. Marino Marsi to sign the documents.
The thesis defense procedure at the University Paris-Saclay is detailed on the page of the University Paris-Saclay : PhD defense
Please note that the first steps begin three months at the latest before the planned date of defense.
The person from the doctoral school to contact for your thesis defense is Ms Véronique Terras.
The reference documents for the definition of the rapporteurs, the jury and others are here.
There are 3 documents to print and have signed:
1) Désignation des rapporteurs
2) Proposition de jury
3) Autorisation de soutenance
They are generated by triggering the defense procedure on your account on the ADUM-Paris-Saclay website. The appointment of the rapporteurs must be signed when your thesis is written, before sending it to the rapporteurs. The jury proposal can be signed at the same time. The authorization for the defense can only be signed when the reports have been received by Véronique Terras. If the jury proposal was not signed the first time, it must be signed at the same time as the authorization for the defense.
Help to better predict the respective dates of submission of the choice of rapporteurs, the authorization of defense and the date of the defense itself is available here, tab 'soutenance/defence' (bottom/left of the spreadsheet).
- The authorization of defense must be signed 4 weeks before the date of defense.
- At least half of the jury members must be outside Paris-Saclay (and outside the ED perimeter). No derogation will be granted for rapporteurs.
- The community of the doctoral school supervisors consists of barely 30% women for experimenters and less than 10% among theorists. For theoretical doctoral students, the presence of a woman among the jury members is strongly encouraged. For experimentalist doctoral students, the jury must include at least one woman for a jury of 4 to 6 members and 2 women for a jury of 7 or 8 members.
- Your thesis may be written in English. In this case, it must include a summary of at least 4 pages in French (ask help to your supervisor!).
- Avoid starting a post-doc abroad or starting your new job 3 days after the defense. Indeed, after the defense, you must submit your second version of the thesis so-called "second dépôt" (the final version of your manuscript) on ADUM. The doctoral degree certificate can only be given to you when this second deposit is made. A delay of a good week after the defense is therefore necessary to obtain it. This document can sometimes be crucial to start your new work or even cross some borders. Thank you for taking that into account.
- When you have finished your thesis, remember to update your contact information on your EDPIF form as well as your ADUM form. The doctoral school is evaluated and we need to know what you do after your thesis.
Mme Terras Véronique
Centre national de recherche scientifique (CNRS)
Laboratoire de physique théorique et modèles statistiques (LPTMS)
Laboratoire de physique des solides (LPS)
Mme Hoarau Sabine
Laboratoire de physique des solides (LPS)