The Jean d'Alembert fellowship programme
The Jean d’Alembert fellowship program Université Paris-Saclay 2022-2024
Through its Jean d'Alembert fellowship program Université Paris-Saclay wants to allow highly qualified foreign scientists to stay for long periods (from 6 to 12 months) in one of the laboratories within its perimeter. Scientists from all disciplines and all countries are eligible. The content of the work project and the period of the stay must be decided with the Paris-Saclay host laboratory before the application.
Two different programs are offered:
- junior researcher fellowships for candidates who have obtained their PhD less than ten years before the date of the application,
- senior researcher fellowships for candidates who have obtained their PhD at least ten years before the date of the application.
In both cases, the 6 to 12 months stay can be divided into several periods, the total duration between the start of the first period and the end of the last one being no more than 18 months. The first period can start in the last quarter of 2022. The last period must finish by the end of December 2024.
The fellowship will include:
- An additional monthly salary of € 2,800 net, which will be paid by Université Paris-Saclay during the presence in the lab (employment contract);
- A budget of maximum 10 k€ to cover expenses related to the beneficiary’s research activities in the host laboratory of Université Paris-Saclay. Applicants must mention in their scientific project the requested amount and the details of these expenses. Only operating expenses are eligible, personnel expenses are excluded.
- Doctoral degree or equivalent (obtained for less than 10 years at the time of the application for junior researchers).
- Researchers employed at their foreign university or research institution for the full duration of the project (tenure track is accepted, not long term post-doctoral position).
- Applicants who have been residing in France for more than six months at the time of application are not eligible.
French citizens can apply to the program, provided their usual place of residence and work has been abroad for at least five years at the time of application.
Supporting document required
- A full CV including a list of publications.
- Letters of recommendation, preferably from outside the Paris-Saclay perimeter.
- A research project and possibly a training or seminars program, developed jointly with the host laboratory. The project will also include a financial section with the expenses related to the research activities in the host laboratory (maximum 10 k€).
- A letter of commitment from the head of the host laboratory in France.
For the needs of the selection step, it is necessary to clearly mention which graduate school(s)/Institute of Université Paris-Saclay is (are) involved in the project (to be seen with the host laboratory).
Fellows will be selected only on the basis of the quality of the applicant and proposed project:
- Quality of the applicant’s scientific track record: professional background, impact and originality of the scientific contributions.
- Quality of the proposed project: importance in its field, relevance of the proposed approach, feasibility, available resources beside those of the d’Alembert fellowship, expected impact for the host laboratory and more broadly for Université Paris-Saclay (scientific, training, innovation and transfer to industry).
Obligations of the laureates
Beyond their involvement in the host laboratory, laureates are expected during and at the end of their stay in France:
- To contribute to the collective dynamic of Université Paris-Saclay, in particular through one or more interventions within the Graduate Schools/Institute.
- To produce a final five-page report on their achievements during their stay.
Deadline for application and application process
Applications must be filed at the latest on March 31, 2022, before midnight French time, on the web site:
The final selection will be made on June 24, 2022, and the results will be communicated to the applicants in the following days. The laureates must express their acceptance of the scholarship within 15 days of notification of the result.
For more information or technical problem, please contact: email@example.com.