Procedure for the defense
The defense file is prepared via the Adum portal. Once all the mandatory fields have been filled in and the doctoral student has validated his/her request, the defense forms will be accessible in his/her personal space.
Documents related to the thesis defense
You will find there the procedure of defense and the information concerning the defenses in videoconference, the models of cover of thesis, and all the information concerning the theses..
Given the context, we had to adapt to the good progress of the doctorate of each of you. Video-conference defenses have been set up for this occasion. However, it is necessary to be aware of the recommendations and precautions to be taken if necessary.
|Note on the visioconférence defense||Videoconference for doctoral dissertation|
In order to guarantee an undisturbed defense, it is strongly advised to be accompanied by a technical guarantor who must be declared in advance (on ADUM)
Nous vous mettrons très prochainement à disposition ci dessous des guides, modes d'emploi et tutos d'utilisation de plateformes de viso-conférence
The procedures for defending a thesis are set by the decree of May 25, 2016 setting the national framework for training and the procedures leading to the award of the national doctoral degree. According to this decree, the authorization to present a thesis in defense is granted,
According to this decree, the authorization to present a thesis in defense is granted,
- by the head of the institution,
- after advice from the director of the doctoral school,
- on the proposal of the thesis director,
on the basis of written reports prepared by at least two reporters, appointed by the head of the school,
- on the proposal of the director of the doctoral school,
- after advice from the thesis director.
The jury for the defense of the thesis is appointed
- by the head of the institution,
- after advice from the director of the doctoral school,
- after advice from the thesis director.
After the defense national PhD diploma
- is delivered by the French state, signed by the Chancellor of the Universities and the President of the Université Paris-Saclay,
- on the recommendation of the jury.
Signature of documents
With the exception of the PhD diploma, which is signed by the President of the Université Paris-Saclay and the Chancellor of the Universities (Rector of the Académie de Versailles), and the framework or individual agreements for international co-supervision of theses, all the documents relating to doctoral defenses are signed by the heads of the higher education establishments that are members or associates of the Université Paris-Saclay, in particular:
- the authorization of the defense ;
- the designation of the rapporteurs ;
- the designation of the jury;
- the attestation of obtaining the doctoral degree;
- the authorization to waive the public nature of the defense (request for a closed session) and the necessary confidentiality agreements;
- the diploma supplement;
The form of the general and specific conditions of diffusion of the thesis (ABES) is approved by the service in charge of the legal deposit of theses;
2 rapporteurs (at least)
- qualified to direct research (HDR) or equivalent,
- external to the supervision team, to the doctoral project, to the doctoral school and to the Université Paris-Saclay,
- no co-publication with the doctoral student,
4 to 8 members
- at least half of the members must be university professors or equivalent (see below),
- at least half of the members must be external to the supervision team, to the doctoral project, to the doctoral school and to the Université Paris-Saclay,
- a balanced proportion of men and women,
- The president of the Jury is a university professor or equivalent.
- The thesis director participates in the Jury but does not take part in the decision, he/she is considered as an "internal member" to establish the composition of the Jury. To know more ...
With some exceptions, the members of the supervisory team are invited by the Jury to bring a light on the progress of the preparation of the thesis.
The principles of the Jury's composition aim to guarantee the quality of the doctorates awarded and their recognition. These principles are translated into rules of composition with certain possibilities of derogation.
Principles of composition
Some of the characteristics of doctoral training, project-based training and the requirement for originality, mean that each doctoral thesis is unique and is evaluated by a custom-made Jury. The composition of the Jury appears both on the doctoral diploma and on the cover of the thesis.
The composition of the Jury is based on three principles: legitimacy, expertise and independence:
- Legitimacy: the doctoral degree is a national degree, delivered in the name of the French state, and is internationally recognized. The Jury must therefore be composed of a majority of members who have all the institutional legitimacy necessary to give their opinion on behalf of higher education in its international dimension.
- Expertise: the thesis presents a body of original scientific work. The Jury must therefore be composed of a majority of members recognized as competent and capable of pronouncing on the quality and originality of the work presented, in the international context. Each member of the Jury, taken individually, does not necessarily have to be a specialist in all of the issues addressed in the thesis, but, taken as a whole, the Jury must constitute a group of experts, in a position to give an opinion on each aspect of the thesis.
- Independence: The doctorate is a degree and the defense of the thesis is an evaluation. The jury must therefore offer all the guarantees of independence necessary for this evaluation. The majority of the members of the Jury must be external, with no ties of subordination, interest or proximity to the doctoral student, the thesis director, the doctoral school, the research unit or the institution.
These simple principles ensure the best possible recognition of the doctoral degree.
Furthermore, it is recommended to take into account the professional project of the doctoral student for the composition of the Jury. Indeed, the participation to the Jury brings to its members an in-depth knowledge of the candidate's work, which has few equivalents and which can bring a real competitive advantage to a doctoral student during a later recruitment, in particular as a lecturer or a researcher. This in-depth knowledge is also very useful for the institution which will have to consider its recruitment.
Clarifications, national rules and internal rules
The number of jury members is between 4 and 8.
At least half of the members of the jury are external to the doctoral school, to Université Paris-Saclay and to the doctoral project; they must not have signed any publications with the doctoral student. A doctoral school may add additional conditions in its internal regulations, for example, not to have co-published with the supervising team in the last five years.
The thesis director participates in the Jury but does not take part in the decision. He or she is counted as an internal member of the Jury.
At least half of the members of the jury are university professors or equivalent.
The number of members of the Jury is between four and eight. The number of members of the Jury taking part in the decision is at least 3.
Except in special cases, the members of the supervisory team are invited to defend the thesis. Their role in the supervisory team during the preparation of the thesis is specified on the thesis cover and in any communication related to the defense.
The status of university professor or equivalent for a doctoral defense jury at the Université Paris-Saclay is defined on the basis of
According to article L612-7 of the Education Code, which defines what a doctorate is: "The doctoral degree is awarded after the defense of a thesis or the presentation of a body of original scientific work. This thesis or these works can be individual or, if the discipline justifies it, collective, already published or unpublished. In the case where the thesis or work is the result of a collective contribution, the candidate must write and defend a dissertation allowing for an appreciation of his personal contribution."
The thesis is the subject of a legal deposit. The doctor is the sole author of the thesis. The legal deposit legally establishes the copyright and must be done, in order for the copyright to be well protected, before the thesis is put into circulation (i.e. before sending the thesis to the reporters). From the first legal deposit, a national thesis number NNT is attributed to the thesis.
The deposit is done in two steps. The first deposit is done before starting the defense procedure. The second deposit is made after the defense and allows either minor revisions (specifying who was the president of the Jury on the cover page, for example), left under the responsibility of the doctor, or major revisions, requested by the Jury, which will be verified by a member of the Jury designated for this purpose.
The thesis is also subject to conditions of electronic diffusion on the theses.fr portal managed by the ABES (library agency of higher education), then on the European portal DartEurope. The electronic file of the thesis is deposited in Adum in PDF format. The metadata necessary for the description, management, distribution and archiving of the thesis, as well as for the production of the diploma are extracted from the doctor's Adum file.
Warning: The author of the thesis (the doctor) can only diffuse what belongs to him/her, the doctoral student must verify that he/she has the rights to diffuse the figures and articles, verification is possible on the Sherpa/Romeo websites.
Embargo: The diffusion of the thesis on the theses.fr portal and on DartEurope can be deferred for a period of time, to be specified in the general and specific conditions of diffusion of the thesis on theses.fr. This embargo only concerns the publication on theses.fr and DartEurope.
Distribution version: A distribution version, different from the archival version of the thesis can be provided and distributed.
Creative Commons licenses are a complement to copyright. These licenses facilitate the dissemination and use of works by authorizing in advance the exercise of certain rights for which copyright requires an authorization and an administrative and contractual process more consistent. Consult the librarians to know how to affix them to your thesis.
If the thesis has a proven confidential character (sensitive data for example), then an exemption to the public nature of the defense (in camera) must be requested from the head of the institution.
In this case, confidentiality agreements must be signed by all those who may have knowledge of the thesis content (rapporteurs, jury members, public).
This does not apply to the persons who will have to know the contents of the thesis, within the Université Paris-Saclay, within the framework of the exercise of their functions (the thesis director, the director of the research unit, the director of the doctoral school, the staff of the valorization service, the librarians in charge of the legal deposit etc.) because, except in particular cases, these persons are, because of their professional status, already subjected to obligations of discretion and professional secrecy and thus do not have to sign additional confidentiality commitments. More information...
In this case, the dissemination of the thesis on theses.fr and on DartEurope must also be embargoed for the duration of the confidentiality period.
A confidentiality clause can be a very serious impediment for a doctor, in particular if his job search requires him to present his achievements, because the thesis cannot be disseminated, reproduced or communicated during the defined confidentiality period, including by the doctor.
The installation of a confidentiality clause must therefore be reserved for information of a proven confidential nature (non-anonymizable personal data, sensitive information, technical solutions for which a patent is being considered).
It is then strongly advised to gather this confidential information in an appendix to the thesis which will be the only one to be submitted to the confidentiality obligations. The thesis, without its confidential appendix, provided that it still constitutes a coherent whole, can then be provided at the time of legal deposit.
All about the patent on the INPI website
- What is patentable or not (ideas, discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods are not patentable)
- The criteria for patentability
The electronic file of the thesis is the .PDF format. Warning: a recent version of PDF must be used. PDF versions prior to 1.4 are no longer accepted.
The cover page must comply with Université Paris-Saclay standards. It must include each of the following regulatory information:
- national thesis number NNT
- institution delivering the doctorate (Université Paris-Saclay) and its logo. In case of international co-supervision of the thesis, mention of this co-supervision and the foreign institution also delivering the doctorate, and its logo
- doctoral school,
- referent (i.e. name of the component, the component institution, the associate member university or an associate institution for the doctorate which operated the registrations before the disappearance of the ComUE, see instructions here),
- title of the thesis,
- name and surname of the author, (the name that must appear is the patronymic, not a common name)
- date and place of defense,
- composition of the Jury, name and surname of the members with their functions in the Jury (president, rapporteur, examiner), their titles and affiliations.
It is important to verify that the discipline on the thesis cover is part of the list of disciplines decided for each doctoral school and that it is the same as the one declared in Adum (the diploma and the legal deposit of the thesis are done from Adum, the discipline is on both documents)
A model and some examples of cover pages are proposed here.
Remark : The diffusion and the conservation of the thesis being done by electronic way for the Université Paris-Saclay, this cover page format is mandatory for the electronic versions of archiving and diffusion of the thesis. For the other modes of diffusion, the doctor is entirely free to choose the cover page format that suits him/her best (addition of illustrations or logo), but the regulatory information listed above must imperatively appear, in particular the legal deposit number (NNT).
Similarly, the 4th cover page must comply with Université Paris-Saclay standards and include the mandatory information (titles, keywords and abstracts in French and English). The abstracts in French and in English have a maximum length of 4000 characters including spaces.
Language of writing
The language in which the thesis is written is French, except for justified exceptions.
The choice of English is justified a priori by the needs of international distribution of the thesis.
This provision is made:
- By application of article L121-3 du code de l’éducation (resulting from the Toubon law) ("The language of instruction, examinations and competitions, as well as theses and dissertations in public and private educational institutions is French. Exceptions may be justified [...]").
- In application of 'article L123-7 du Code de l'éducation : The public service of higher education contributes, within the international scientific and cultural community, to the debate of ideas, to the progress of research and to the meeting of cultures. It promotes, at the European and international levels, a better sharing of knowledge and its dissemination to civil society.
- In application of ’article 21 de l’arrêté du 25 Mai 2016 (The cotutelle agreement specifies the "language in which the thesis is written; when this language is not French, the writing is completed by a substantial summary in French").
The choice of a language other than French for the writing of the thesis is therefore an exception, which must be agreed upon in advance by the actors of a doctoral training project.
Each doctoral student, French or foreign, of the Université Paris-Saclay is required, if he or she has written his or her thesis in a language other than French, to accompany it with a substantial summary in French, the length of which is defined by each doctoral school, and which remains between 4,000 characters, including spaces, and 20 pages, and which may vary according to the choice of language in which the thesis is written (if the language in which the thesis is written is English, the substantial summary in French requested may be shorter than for another language, the use of which is less common in France). The substantial summary of the thesis will appear as an appendix to the thesis, for consultation in the library and/or distribution on the Internet.
In all cases, the choices that have been made (choice of the language in which the thesis is written, format of the substantial summary) must allow the entire French-speaking scientific community to have access to the research work presented in order to obtain the doctoral degree.
Attention: If the language in which the thesis is written is neither French nor English, each member of the Jury must make a declaration on his or her honor that he or she is fluent in the language in which the thesis is written and that he or she agrees to examine the thesis submitted. A model of declaration is provided on the website of the Université Paris-Saclay (Doctorat / Documents de référence relatifs à la soutenance).
Moreover, concerning the English language, although its use is widely established, it is nevertheless advised to consult beforehand, in an informal way, each member of the Jury, to make sure that none of them has any objection in principle to examine a thesis written in another language than French.
Université Paris-Saclay, Faculté des sciences : firstname.lastname@example.org
Université Paris-Saclay, Faculté de droit, économie et gestion : email@example.com
Université Paris-Saclay, Faculté de médecine : firstname.lastname@example.org
Université Paris-Saclay, Faculté de pharmacie : email@example.com
Université Paris-Saclay, Faculté des sciences et techniques des activités physiques et sportives : firstname.lastname@example.org
AgroParisTech : email@example.com ou firstname.lastname@example.org
Institut d’Optique : email@example.com
ENS Paris-Saclay : firstname.lastname@example.org ou email@example.com
CentraleSupélec : firstname.lastname@example.org
Université de Versailles-Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines : email@example.com
Université d'Évry-Val-d'Essonne : firstname.lastname@example.org
Ecole Nationale d’Architecture de Versailles : email@example.com