Within several domains of activity, very different kind of textual data are generated and collected on a daily basis. Their exploitation requires models and algorithms able to efficiently handle their diversity e.g health record, hotline transcription, internal reports, legal or financial texts, posts on social networks, .... Many startup companies base their business model on Natural Language Processing (NLP) applications to improve user-interaction (e.g chatbot), or to leverage the large amount of textual data for new applications. Big companies have also started to develop their inner data science department for a better exploitation of their own data. Since for privacy and safety reasons it is usually not possible to externalize the text data and their processing, the demand for data-scientist specialized in NLP thus continues to increase.
EIT Digital master program on Data Science
The Data Science Masters offers a unique two-year academic programme, whereby students study data science, innovation and entrepreneurship at two different leading European universities.
Students acquire in-depth technical skills in scalable data collection techniques and data analysis methods. They learn how to use and develop a suite of tools and technologies that address data capture, processing, storage, transfer, analysis, visualisation, and related concepts (e.g., data access, data pricing, and data privacy).
At the same time, they also acquire extensive business skills by learning how to bring an innovation to the market and developing a successful business model. These additional entrepreneurial skills will give students their ticket to a successful career.
All EIT Digital Master School programmes follow the same scheme:
- Students study one year at an ‘entry’ university and one year at an ‘exit’ university in two of EIT Digital’s hot spots around Europe.
- Upon completion, graduates receive degrees from the two universities and a certificate awarded by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology.
- The first year is dedicated to basic courses to lay the foundation. Some elective courses may also be chosen. At the same time, students are introduced to business and management. During the second semester, a design project is combined with business development exercises.
- In between the first year and the second year, a summer school addresses business opportunities within a socially relevant theme.
- The second year offers a specialisation and a graduation project. The gradation project includes an internship at a company or a research institute and results in a Master thesis with a strong innovation and entrepreneurship dimension.
To learn more about the structure of the programme, visit this website:
M2 Data Science - EIT Digital in Université Paris-Sud
The second year starts with a warm-up project (2) to ensure homogeneous skills on basics, followed by 5 mandatory courses (2.5ECTS each):
- NLP: information extraction
- Probabilistic Inference
- Signal Processing basics
Then students select 4 courses (each with 2.5ECTS) from : Fairness in DataScience, Dialog systems, Information Retrieval, Web data-model, Graph data management, Graphical models, Multilingual NLP, Deep Learning for structured data, Speech recognition and interaction, a data analysis project shared with UNS.
The second year also includes I&E (6), and Carrier Seminars (5) and ends with an internship (25).
In the EIT-Digital master program, the student select two locations, one for the entry point (Master 1) and one for the exit point (Master 2). Université Paris-Sud proposes both of them. In the Data Science track, the other possible locations are:
- Technical University Eindhoven (Netherlands)
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Universidad Politecnica de Madrid (Spain)
- Politecnico di Milano (Italy)
- Technische Universität Berlin (Germany)
- Aalto University (Finland)
- Eötvös Loránd University (Hungary)
The last three University only propose a second year. There is also Université de Nice-Sophia-Antipolis, but the EIT program requires to select two different countries for the entry and exit points.
Data science is a highly innovative area. The data scientist simultaneously masters scalable data management, data analysis and domain area expertise to extract key knowledge and solve real-world problems. Data scientists’ skills are highly valued across all fields within the private sector, government and non-profit organisations.
Data Science, DS, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, NLP, EIT digital master school , european master , international master
This master's programs offer additional services. These programs require specific tuition fees.
To know more about tuitions fees and fee waiver, check on the website on EIT Digital:
Please note, that EIT Digital provide student with scholarship (monthly allowance and/or some fee waiver), based on merit.
- S3 - Semestre 3 HCID EIT Digital
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Fundamentals of Situated Interaction 2.5 21h - - Fundamentals of Virtual and Augmented Reality 5 21h 21h - Advanced Programming of Interactive Systems 5 21h 21h - Design of Interactive Systems 2.5 21h - - Innovation & Entrepreneurship Thesis 6 24h - -
10 ECTS au choix
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Advanced Design of Interactive Systems 2.5 21h - - Advanced Evaluation of Interactive Systems 2.5 21h - - Interactive Information Visualization 2.5 21h - - Scientific Visualization 2.5 21h - - Photo-Realistic Rendering 2.5 21h - - Gestural and Mobile Interaction 2.5 21h - - Internet of Things and Human-Machine Interaction 2.5 21h - - Mixed Reality and Tangible Interaction 2.5 21h - - Intelligent Multimodal Interaction 2.5 21h - - Virtual Humans 2.5 21h - - Groupware and Collaborative Work 2.5 21h - - Creative Design 2.5 21h - - Digital Fabrication 2.5 21h - - HCI Project 2.5 - 21h - Audio synthesis 2.5 15h 6h -
- Tronc commun
- S4 - Semestre 4 HCID EIT Digital
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Career Seminar 5 21h 21h - Internship 25 - - -
Applications dates and deadlines
The application process is divided into two periods:
- Period one:
19 December 2018 - 1 February 2019: Open to EU/EEA/CH/ Non-EU citizens
- Period two:
15 February 2019 - 15 April 2019: Open to EU/EEA/CH/Non-EU citizens Please note that application period two is not recommended for applicants who require a visa due to time constraints. Also, note that all study trajectories may not be available during application period two.