Ce parcours est enseigné uniquement en langue anglaise, toutes les informations sont affichées en anglais.
The aim of this programme consists in contributing to the training of future Arctic decisionmakers and to offer French, European and other students specialised knowledge of a key region that plays a key role in global geopolitics and which is destined to experience an increasingly dynamic economic development in the years to come, a period of major change that also represents a number of important problems.
The programme is pluridisciplinary since one simply cannot seize what is at stake in the Arctic, nor act in the Arctic without an integrated approach. The relationship between man and his environment has to be notably born in mind at any moment, hence the importance of a set of core courses that reflects the various subjects and fields of the research centers of the Observatoire de Versailles Saint-Quentin : CEARC (Culture, Environment, Arctic, Representation, Climate), LATMOS (Laboratory Atmosphere, Milieux and Observation of Space), LSCE (Laboratory for Climate and Environment Science), REEDS (Research laboratory in ecological economics and sustainable development engineering).
The major problems of the Arctic today and tomorrow are looked at while basing oneself on sound knowledge of the past. The core courses taken by all students cover the following disciplines: climate and environmental science, atmosphere and observation of space, economics and governance, human and social science, intercultural studies as well as a course on French language and culture for non Francophones.
it aims to ensure the training of the next generation of arctic experts, in the area of circumpolar studies, and to instruct young experts on issues pertaining to this region.
Modalités de contrôle des connaissances associées aux unités d'enseignement des S1 et S2
Accédez au détail des répartitions horaires Cours/TP/TD
- S3 - Semestre 3 AS
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Environmental Science for the Arctic 3 28h - - Arctic Societies 3 22h - - Arctic travel literature 3 18h - - Introduction to observation methods 3 8h - 24h Conference cycle 3 24h - - Artic Climate and Meteorology 3 24h - - Language and scientific writing (English or French) 3 - 20h - Arctic Geopolitics 3 18h - -
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Climatic system 3 18h - - Arctic anthropology, economy 3 24h - -
- Tronc commun
- S4 - Semestre 4 AS
Guyancourt (Campus OVSQ)
The aim of the Master is twofold:
- help future decisionmakers and facilitators working in the Arctic or in relation to the Arctic to develop tools for integrated analyses thanks to in-depth knowledge of the fragile balance between ecosystems and the human ecology of the Arctic.
- At the same time, the Master is designed to provide students interested in research with the opportunity to develop a project that will be pursued in the form of a doctoral dissertation after the validation of the Master.
Such Phd work may be co-directed with one of our international partners. We thereby hope to encourage a new generation of researchers with a heightened, pluridisciplinary awareness and expertise to emerge in the Arctic, Europe, and elsewhere.
The master offers three complimentary fields of competence :
- studies in all of the major areas essential for decision making: environmental and natural science as well as technology, economics and governance, geopolitical aspects and questions of law, Arctic societies and their culture
- scientific competence therefore reinforced by intercultural competence that will allow students to act as experts and facilitators but also councilors and consulting agents
- an international dimension with courses in English and colleagues of international reputation from various sectors (academics, administrators, politicians, industry…) as well as students from the Arctic and different parts of the world. Pedagogical priorities
- active pedagogy involving simulation of real situations (companies, project planning, conceptual workshops, brainstorming), lectures and encounters with professionals
- training in analysis and action: students are tutored by a colleague from the OVSQ and a professional from outside; students also work on a group project defined by the group
- training in academic and scientific domains that allows students to understand the major problems in the Arctic and research topics in Arctic Studies.
As to the final evaluation, students will follow a training programme/internship of their on choice on which they will write a detailed report or a long research paper in the form of a dissertation in English. The report or dissertation is defended during a viva that helps the student to define a professional project and career perspectives.
The Artic Studies programme trains decision makers capable of piloting the process of expertise, facilitation and governance by relying on a method of eco-efficiency and global performance (environmental, economic, social and societal), of identifying and erasing obstacles to a respectful development of ecosystems and human ecology in an Arctic context. The year of Arctic Studies will allow a student to develop the following fields of competence :
- piloting of a project by using specific tools and management techniques
- management of organisational change relying on a pluridisciplinary approach
- autonomous conduct of an Arctic project or enquiry
- reflect on and respect social, technical and technological aspects
- mediation of environmental knowledge, intercultural aspects, access to and distribution of knowledge
- economic and environnemental evaluation
- expertise of what is at stake in the Arctic in economic, sectorial and multidisciplinary terms
- evaluation of systems of innovation, production and acquiring of knowledge
- identification and selection of opportunities : economic intelligence
- evaluation of technological, financial, commercial and organisational risk
- management of research teams and projects of international cooperation
Classes are taught by colleagues from there research centers of the Observatoire de Versailles Saint-Quentin (OVSQ) at the University of Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines : specializing in
1) Arctic Studies in the Humanities and Social Science (CEARC)
2) research on the atmosphere and space observation (LATMOS)
3) climatology and environment science (LSCE) as well as colleagues from the laboratory LMD at Ecole Polytechnique.
This Master draws on the knowledge and expertise of all members of the Observatory of Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines and its many international partners, several international universities and institutions.
Classes are taught by colleagues from there research centers of the Observatoire de Versailles Saint-Quentin (OVSQ) at the University of Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines : specializing in 1) Arctic Studies in the Humanities and Social Science (CEARC) 2) research on the atmosphere and space observation (LATMOS) 3) climatology and environment science (LSCE) as well as colleagues from the laboratory LMD at Ecole Polytechnique.
Pièces justificatives à joindre à la candidature en ligne / List of documents you have to join to the online application :
- CV/Curriculum vitae (Obligatoire/Obligatory)
- Lettre de motivation/Letter of motivation (Obligatoire/Obligatory)
- Tous les relevés de notes des années/semestres validés depuis le bac à la date de la candidature /All transcripts of years / semesters validated from the baccalaureate to the date of application (obligatoire/obligatory)
- Attestation de niveau d'anglais (obligatoire pour les non anglophones) / Certificate of English level (compulsory for non-English speakers)
- Fiche de choix de M2 pour les candidats inscrits en M1 à l'université Paris-Saclay : à télécharger sur https://www.universite-paris-saclay.fr/fr/etre-candidat-a-nos-formations (obligatoire pour tous les candidats actuellement inscrits en M1 à l’Université Paris Saclay) / M2 selection card for candidates enrolled in M1 at Paris-Saclay University : to download on https://www.universite-paris-saclay.fr/en/apply-to-master-programs (obligatory for all candidates currently enrolled in M1 at Paris Saclay University).
- Curriculum UE (descriptifs des UE suivies) des deux dernières années / EU Curriculum EU descriptions for the last two years (Obligatoire/Obligatory)
La capacité d'accueil de cette formation est de 12 étudiants
Les modalités d'examen de la candidature sont les suivantes : Examen de dossier à déposer sur le site web de l'UPSaclay
Date d'ouverture de campagne 1 : 01/01/2018
Date de fermeture de campagne 1 : 15/07/2018
Date d'ouverture de campagne 2 : 25/08/2018
Date d'ouverture de campagne 2 : 10/09/2018
Dossier VAPP (Valorisation des Acquis Professionnels et Personnels)
Il est rappelé aux personnes en situation d'emploi qui souhaitent demander une valorisation des Acquis Professionnels et Personnels qu'elles doivent déposer un dossier accessible à l'adresse suivante: https://www.universite-paris-saclay.fr/fr/etre-candidat-a-nos-formations (au bas de page)
A correct level in one or more basic scientific disciplines (mathematics, physics, mechanics, chemistry, biology, earth sciences) is required to access the four courses dealing with climate and environment issues. More specifically: The Arctic Studies course requires a good level in one of the scientific disciplines relevant to the course (physics, chemistry, ecology, earth sciences). A taste for the multidisciplinary hard sciences / human sciences is important to follow the M2 ARCTS.
The M2 is open to students who have validated the CLEAR path of the first year of the STePE master's degree and to students of the Polytechnic school who have validated the Science for Environmental Challenges course (SDE) in the third year of the school. A student who has validated a first year of master's degree in another path of STePE can also apply for M2. Finally, a student who has validated an M1 (or equivalent) related to climate, environment, physics, applied mathematics, and mechanics, in any university or engineering school, can also apply for M2 . In all cases, the choice of admission and the precise purpose that will follow the student is subject to the agreement of the admission committee of the M2, which will decide according to the level and the previous course of the student (prerequisite ).
Laboratoire Écologie fonctionnelle et écotoxicologie des agroécosystèmes (ECOSYS)
Laboratoire Écologie fonctionnelle et écotoxicologie des agroécosystèmes (ECOSYS)