Important: The schedule for Period 1 / Semester 1 2018/2019 available at the bottom of this page. Courses start on Monday September 10th, 9am, in room B107 of building 640 (PUIO) at Université Paris-Sud, Orsay.
The Data & Knowledge program is a second year master program (“M2”) in computer science at the University Paris-Saclay in Paris, France. It is concerned with Web data management, knowledge & semantics, big data, and data analytics from a semantic point of view. The program is taught in English.
The curriculum brings together a variety of subjects from the fields of data management, knowledge management and knowledge engineering, and machine learning, and data mining. Topics include system design and architecture, storage, indexing and optimization, data analytics, knowledge representation and reasoning, semantic interoperability, and data mining, all with a special focus on processing very large amounts of data.
The unique combination of these disciplines distinguishes us from the other M2 tracks that focus either on data management or machine learning and data mining. Another key feature is that the Data&Knowledge track is in English.
The program will allow you to
- look under the hood of technologies that big data players such as Google, Twitter, and Facebook leverage
- learn the principles of semantic data representation, which makes machines “understand” data
- understand how machines (and humans) reason on data
- discover different types of data in a variety of applications, such as bioinformatics, social media, and the Web
The rise of user-web interaction and networking, coupled with technological advances in processing power and storage capability, has led to a growing demand for effective and sophisticated techniques for discovering and managing knowledge. Businesses need to transform large quantities of raw data into knowledge, and they rely on modern database and knowledge management systems to make informed and often business-critical decisions. Similarly, scientists have to process massive amounts of data to gain new insights and advance reseach.
The master program will equip students with the fundamental knowledge, technical skills and concrete applied methodologies for exploiting and making sense of large real-world data sets, which are typically very large and may consist of multiple heterogeneous databases and knowledge bases. In particular, students will acquire experience in using and developing data-supported smart services and tools for data-driven decision making and will learn how to master technical and scientific challenges in processing large data and knowledge. The program will prepare students for careers as information management professionals or data-savvy IT generalists, or for research in areas related to discovery and management of very large data and knowledge.
"Big Data" has become a buzz word in recent times. Candidates are advised that actually studying the science and technology behind Big Data is an endeavor that is more arduous than the buzz word suggests. It involves learning the theoretical background, the tools, and the algorithms that are used to treat large data volumes. In return, students will be prepared for the professional or academic future even when the hype around Big Data ceases one day.
The Data & Knowledge program also teaches the basics of machine learning, but this is not the main focus of the program. Students who wish to deepen their knowledge in machine learning can use the "Module Liberté" to this end. The Module Liberté is an optional course that can be chosen among all data-oriented courses offered at Paris-Saclay -- for example a course from the machine learning program. The Module Liberté is a particular advantage of the Data & Knowledge program; other programs do not allow this flexibility.
The Data&Knowledge track will prepare students for careers as information management professionals or data-savvy IT generalists, or for research in areas related to discovery and management of very large data and knowledge. Potential carreers include : IT executives in businesses, careers in research and development in universities and private research, IT careers in large companies and start-ups. Targeted job profiles are software engineer, data scientists, software and system architects, quality engineers, project managers, engineers, or researcher.
The combination of big data and semantics in all of its forms is an active field of research. Students will be prepared for research in Web technologies, the Social Web, Data Analytics, Big Data Management, Knowledge Base Management, Information Extraction, Information Retrieval, Databases, Data Warehousing, Knowledge Representation, and Distributed Data Management.
Students who wish to pursue a PhD afterwards are more than encouraged to do that. The Paris Saclay University and the associated research labs (INRIA, CNRS, etc.) offer a great environment for a PhD, and our program is an optimal preparation for this path.
The Data&Knowledge program is an international program that is held in English. It explicitly welcomes foreign applicants. Developing language skills will be an integral part of the mandatory soft-skills course. The program is taught in English.
- S3 - Semestre 3
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Web Data Models 2.5 - - - Semantic Web 2.5 - - - Data Warehousing 2.5 21h 15h 6h Machine Learning and Data Mining 2.5 - - - IoT Big Data Processing 2.5 - - - Novel Architectures for Big Data Analytics 2.5 - - -
6 optional courses
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Knowledge Base Construction 2.5 15h - 6h Natural and Artificial Intelligence 2.5 - - - Information Integration 2.5 12h 9h - Social and Uncertain Data Management 2.5 15h - 6h Dynamic Content Management 2.5 15h - 6h Data Mining Theory and Practice 2.5 15h - 6h Managing Very Large Data and Knowledge in Bioinformatics 2.5 9h 6h 6h IoT Big Data Stream Mining 2.5 - - - New trends in Data&Knowledge 2.5 14h 4h 3h
- Mandatory courses
- S4 - Semestre 4
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Softskills Seminar 2.5 3h 9h 9h Introduction to Research and Business 2.5 6h 6h 9h 6 month master thesis project 25 - - -
First semester, first period:
We follow the shared calendar of Paris-Saclay. The first period runs 10/09/2018 - 28/10/2018, with 7 weeks of classes, and the exams in the weeks of 05/11/2018 and 12/11/2018. The calendar and the rooms for the first period will be available in Synapses. Details for all courses are in the examination modalities. The morning slot is 9:00-12:15, the afternoon slot is 13:30-16:45.
The mandatory courses are:
- DK910a: Web Data Models (Silviu Maniu) - Monday morning (PSud)
- DK910b: Semantic Web (Yue Ma) - Monday afternoon (PSud)
- DK911a: Data Warehouses (Benoit Groz) - Tuesday morning (PSud)
- DK908b: Big Data Architectures (Ioana Manolescu, Silviu Maniu) - Tuesday afternoon (PSud)
- DK911b: Machine Learning (Albert Bifet, Rodrigo Mello) - Wednesday morning (Télécom)
- DK908a: Big Data Processing (Albert Bifet, Rodrigo Mello) - Wednesday afternoon (Télécom)
- DK915: Introduction to Research and Business (Emmanuel Waller, Fabian Suchanek, Vera Dickman). Sessions take place on 2018-09-20 all day at TélécomParisTech, on 2018-10-04 all day at Télécom ParisTech, and in the mornings of 2018-10-11 & 2018-10-18 & 2018-10-25 at Paris-Sud.
First semester, second period:
The second period runs 19/11/2018 - 20/01/2019, with 7 weeks of classes, and the exams in the week of 28/01/2019. Details for all courses are in the examination modalities. The planning is still tentative.
- Softskills seminar (Fabian Suchanek & all lecturers) - Thursday afternoon (Télécom ParisTech)
Optional courses: 6 out of the following
- DK914: Information Integration (Nathalie Pernelle, Fatiha Saïs & Sarah Cohen) - Monday afternoon (UPSud)
- DK901: Social Data Management (Silviu Maniu) - Monday morning (UPSud)
- DK906: New Data on the Web (Fabian Suchanek, Nicoleta Preda) - Tuesday afternoon
- DK904: Data Stream Mining (Albert Bifet, Jesse Read, Rodrigo Mello) - Wednesday morning
- DK917: Factorization-Based Data Analysis (Umut Simsekli) - Wednesday afternoon
- to be confirmed: Big Data Application (Ioana Manolescu, Silviu Maniu) - Thursday morning
- AIC-D-K922: Image understanding (Isabelle Bloch) - Friday morning
- AIC-D-K921: Image mining and content-based retrieval (Antoine Manzanera) - Friday afternoon
- DK916x: Module Liberté (any data-oriented course at UPSay by approval)
6 month master thesis project: 25 ECTS
6 month industrial internship: 25 ECTS
- registration procedure for newly accepted students
- study regulations (grades, internship, etc.)
- examination modalities for each course
The program is run by Paris-Sud University and Télécom ParisTech University. The reference institute is Télécom ParisTech University.
Frequently asked questions before applying
see "Modalités de candidatures/Application requirements" on the left.
Frequently asked questions after acceptance
Congratulations for being accepted to the Data & Knowledge program!
- The acceptance email will have an attached signed letter that serves as letter of acceptance. Letters on paper can be sent out on request.
- The acceptance email reads "pending validation of the required conditions". This means that we expect that you finish the degrees that you indicated in your application for the current year.
- Please read our document about the registration process.
- A preliminary course schedule is now available.
Frequently asked questions for current students
- Please have a look at the examination regulations.
- The thesis can be done either (1) in a research lab as a Master's thesis or (2) in industry as a 6 month internship. Typically, academic supervisors and industry partners offer some topics, and the student can choose among them. Quite often, the topic evolves during the work.
- If you are interested in a Master's thesis, you can start looking around for researchers whom you would like to work with. These can be your lecturers, or other researchers at Paris-Saclay. Then get in touch and ask whether you can do your master's thesis with them. Typically, the academic supervisors offer some topics, and the student can choose among them. Quite often, the topic evolves during the work.
- If you are interested in an industrial internship, you would have to find a company that would like to host you. Starting points are (1) Télécom internship offers (log in with you Télécom account), (2) general industry events at Télécom, (3) the emails we regularly send with offers, (4) the “Forum de Télécom”, a large industry-students meeting, and (5) potentially other industry-students meetings. You will be informed when these take place.
- Students can also do their internship abroad.
- For the modalities of the report for an industrial internship, see here (login required). For the modalities of the master's thesis, it is generally up to the advisor to define them, following roughly the guidelines for the report for an industrial internship.
Applications are now closed. The semester starts on the 10th of September 2018.
- Applicants must have finished 4 years of study (BAC+4) in Computer Science (or equivalent), either at Paris Saclay University or elsewhere.
- Applicants should have good programming skills in Java.
- It is not possible to do the program part-time ("en alternance")
- The tuition fee will not exceed 400 € (four hundred euros) per year, i.e., for the entire program.
- Check whether you have to apply also via Campus France.
- Application for both the program and the scholarship works exclusively via the Apply button on the left. Please refrain from sending your CV or any other material by mail unless requested!
During the application process
- See below for the list of documents to upload. We insist on a motivation letter in English. This means that the motivation letter is not in French. Also, please make sure your CV mentions clearly the country and the full name of the university where you graduated.
- If you cannot upload a document that the system considers obligatory, create a PDF document in which you explain the reason, and upload this document instead. You can produce a PDF document, e.g., with Microsoft Word.
- For problems with submitting your application (obligatory fields missing, alleged incoherences, information missing, etc.): try to fill out the fields in such a way that the tool accepts your application. The applications are anyway read by humans afterwards.
- It’s OK if you have not yet finished your current program. Just send the transcript of grades until the current state of your studies.
- Documents can be in English or French.
- The final obligatory document that the system asks for is the list of all your university grades
- A certificate for French language capabilities is not required.
- A certificate for English language capabilities is required. If you have studied in English, submit a PDF file that proves (or at least states) this fact.
- Due to a restructuring of the University of Paris-Saclay, we currently cannot guarantee that scholarships will be available :-(
- If you wish to be considered for a scholarship, please let us know in your motivation letter. No separate process (and no email) is needed to be considered, just state in your motivation letter that you wish to be considered.
- If scholarships become available, we will post this on this Web page. Scholarships will be awarded based on merit. However, again, we cannot guarantee that scholarships will be available...
- You will receive a notification of acceptance or rejection within 2 months the latest by email. Usually, you will get a reply within 4 weeks. Please refrain from inquiring about the status of your application.
- Applicants will be informed about the acceptance or rejection by email.
- Applicants who qualify for a scholarship will be informed about the scholarship at the same time. Thus, if you are accepted to Data&Knowledge, but did not receive any separate mail about the scholarship, it means that you have not been selected for the scholarship.
- The application process is very competitive: We receive around 400 applications, and have only around 30 students in the end.
EIT Digital Master School
The M2 Data&Knowledge can be followed as part of the 2 year EIT digital Master School program at Paris-Sud University. To apply for this avenue click here . Applications for the entire EIT Digital Master School (M1+M2) can only be handled at the EIT website.
The Data & Knowledge program is an international program that is held in English. It explicitly welcomes foreign applicants. Developing language skills will be an integral part of the mandatory soft-skills course. Presentations and reports will be given by students in English.
This program is tightly part of the Cloud Computing and Services major ( CCS ) of the EIT Digital Master School, offered via Université Paris-Sud (https://masterschool.eitdigital.eu/programmes/ccs/)
Pièces justificatives à joindre à la candidature en ligne / List of documents you have to join to the online application :
- CV/Curriculum vitae (obligatoire/obligatory)
- Lettre de motivation / Letter of motivation (obligatoire/obligatory)
- Tous les relevés de notes des années/semestres validés depuis le bac à la date de la candidature /All transcripts of years / semesters validated from the baccalaureate to the date of application (obligatoire/obligatory)
- Attestation de niveau d'anglais (obligatoire pour les non anglophones) / Certificate of English level (compulsory for non-English speakers)
- Fiche de choix de M2 pour les candidats inscrits en M1 à l'université Paris-Saclay : à télécharger sur https://www.universite-paris-saclay.fr/fr/etre-candidat-a-nos-formations (obligatoire pour tous les candidats actuellement inscrits en M1 à l’Université Paris Saclay) / M2 selection card for candidates enrolled in M1 at Paris-Saclay University : to download on https://www.universite-paris-saclay.fr/en/apply-to-master-programs (obligatory for all candidates currently enrolled in M1 at Paris Saclay University).
- Curriculum UE (descriptifs des UE suivies) des deux dernières années / EU Curriculum EU descriptions for the last two years
La capacité d'accueil de cette formation est de 25 étudiants
Les modalités d'examen de la candidature sont les suivantes : Examen de dossier à déposer sur le site web de l'UPSaclay
Date d'ouverture de la campagne : 04/01/2018
Date de fermeture de la campagne : 08/01/2018
Dossier VAPP (Valorisation des Acquis Professionnels et Personnels)
Il est rappelé aux personnes en situation d'emploi qui souhaitent demander une valorisation des Acquis Professionnels et Personnels qu'elles doivent déposer un dossier accessible à l'adresse suivante: https://www.universite-paris-saclay.fr/fr/etre-candidat-a-nos-formations (au bas de page)