Being an expert for the European Commission and participating in the projects’ evaluation is the unique opportunity to strengthen your capacities to participate or to run a successful European project!
Why being an independent expert?
Being an expert for the European Commission and participating in the projects’ evaluation is the unique opportunity to:
- Understand the mechanisms for the evaluation of the projects ;
- Build a network of international partners in your field of research ;
- Contribute to the reflexions on the content of the programmes.
Ultimately, it is a way of strengthening your capacities to participate or to run a successful project!
What are the missions of the independent expert?
The independent experts can assume different roles, such as:
- Participate in the evaluation and the selection of the best research projects submitted to the calls ;
- Ensure the proper and scientific implementation of the projects or even the Horizon 2020 programme;
- Develop the future research actions of the European Union.
Who can be independent expert?
People of any nationalities, receiving a high level of expertise in a field related to a Horizon 2020 topics, from the academic, economic or business sphere.
These experts are academic or industrial researchers but also representatives from the socio-economic world, business management, multidisciplinary, or even intellectual property experts.
How are my missions proceeded?
The evaluations of the projects are generally carried out within short sessions which are run either remotely or in Brussels or in Luxembourg. The number of evaluated files overwhelmingly depends on the field.
An independent expert receive 450 euros per day of complete activity and is refunded for the travel and accommodation expenses.
How to be an independent expert?
The applications are submitted online through the participant portal of the Horizon 2020 program. The successful applicants are included in a data base and contacted by the European commission if necessary.
For more information:
- Visit European Commission’s web site : Devenir expert indépendant de l'Union européenne
- Watch the H2020 National Contact Point’s Webinaire : Devenir expert évaluateur des projets Horizon 2020