DocumentsBelow you will find detailed information regarding the documentation you will need to submit for the administrative measures that you must undertake upon your arrival in France.

You must bring the original version of all required documents. We also advise you to bring a photocopy and a scanned version

If you are accompanied by a family member, they must submit the same documents.


List of mandatory documents

  • A valid passport (ideally for the whole duration of your stay) with the required visa (unless you are exempt from visa requirements). EEA and Swiss nationals can come to France freely with a valid identity card;
  • A marriage certificate (if applicable);
  • Two certified copies of your birth certificate (with parent's names);
  • A proof of income delivered by tax authorities for the last two years, even if you had no income during that time period;
  • All other documents required by the French Consulate of your country of residence for the visa application process. You may be asked to provide these documents upon arrival by Customs and when you apply for a residence permit.

Please note that certain foreign documents must be subject to an Apostil or legalised prior to your departure. Legalised documents must be translated by a sworn translator either in your country of residence or in France. For further information regarding the legalisation, apostil and translation requirements, please read below.


List of strongly recommended documents

  • Your 3 most recent pay slips (if applicable);
  • If you are affiliated to a Social Security system in a European country, your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and the S1 form, which will enable you to register in the French Social Security system. If you are a non-EU national: any proof of health insurance;
  • Medicine or eyeglass prescriptions;
  • Your immunisation records;
  • Your current employment contract (if applicable);
  • Your most recent bank statement;
  • Your European or international driver’s license.


Proof of academic standing

  • Original documents of your degrees and/or diplomas (high school and university, if applicable);
  • Students: detailed transcripts (a record of your grades) of your last two years of studies (high school or university);
  • Exchange students: a certificate of enrollment from your university;
  • PhD students: a detailed transcript that confirms all the courses taken throughout your studies and the corresponding grades as well as a detailed research proposal (depending on the subject area);
  • Students holding a French government scholarship: a letter of presentation from the cultural service of the French Embassy.



Legalisation and apostil requirements

Certain foreign documents are subject to an 'apostil' or 'legalisation' prior to your departure. Whether you need a legalisation or apostil depends on your country of origin. These procedures prove the authenticity of your documents. To legalise a document, you must get it translated first by a sworn translator.

To find out to which countries the legalisation, apostil or exemption apply, visit the Préfecture de Paris website (in French) or contact the French Consulate of your country of residence. You can see in this list the type of document concerned by the “apostil” or “legalisation” requirement (in French). 

Please note: Documents that have not been legalised or do not bear an apostil will be rejected by the French authorities, unless your country is subject to an exemption.

Translation of official documents into French

To legalise a document, you must first get it translated by a sworn translator.

  • In your country of residence: contact the French Consulate of your country of residence and ask for a list of their sworn translators. You will need 3 original translations of each document.
  • In France: To find a sworn translator in France, visit the website of the French Court of Cassation (in French). You will need 3 original translations of each document.