The Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree FIPDes is a 2-year Programme in Food Innovation & Product Design.
It is the 1st course created to tackle the global challenges of food innovation along with product design and packaging.
- 65 high quality teachers and researchers
- 25 international guest speakers
- 10 research centers
- 7 incubators and technologic halls
- 3 experimental kitchens
- 10 different scientific fields
- 40% practical, experimental and project work
A consortium of 5 top-ranking European Universities:
- Université Paris Saclay and AgroParisTech - France
- Dublin Institute of Technology - Ireland
- Federico II University - Italy
- Lund University - Sweden
These universities, amongst the oldest and most prestigious institutes in Europe, offer this truly integrated and unique programme, adopting a holistic and cross-disciplinary approach: from initial conception through prototypes to consumption, from raw materials to packaged goods. FIPDes is training a new generation of food professionals capable of working across borders, with an inclusive vision of innovation to create sound, sustainable and healthy food solutions for the future generations on this planet.
FIPDes students study, live and get professional experience in four different EU countries. They benefit from the most competitive and innovative learning environments, based on participative learning, team work, R&D projects and hands-on trainings in collaboration with pioneering research, culinary & industrial laboratories.
After only 5 years, FIPDes is fast becoming the worldwide reference in its field with a visibility spread over more than 100 countries, alumni of more than 40 different nationalities and a global network of socio-economic and research partners from the 5 continents.
Candidates can only apply to the whole programme lasting two years, so the selection process concerns the admission to the first year (=M1) with a consecutive year 2 (=M2).
- For Non-EU students, the subscription fees are € 9.000 per academic year / € 18.000 for the whole master course.
- For EU students, the subscription fees are € 4.500 per academic year / € 9.000 for the whole master course.
The subscription fees remain the same, irrespective of the chosen study track.
The subscription fees include the following costs:
- Registration to universities
- Participation costs of the introduction module
- Insurance costs
For more information visit the FIPDes website
Here you can find a video of a FIPDes student
FIPDes video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlc3rebVb2A
FIPDes is part of the elite Erasmus Mundus Programme (2011-2015) initiated by the European Commission to enhance and promote European Higher Education throughout the world.
Choosing FIPDes, it’s a unique opportunity to:
- Be able to successfully integrate and apply knowledge from different disciplines and cultural systems.
- Undertake front-running applied projects in collaboration with industrial and academic partners.
- Deepen your technical skills while exploring your creative abilities.
- Empower your adaptability and entrepreneurship capabilities.
- Shape a unique profile that would take many years to build when working in a company.
- Get the European experience and networks to be ready for new incoming professional challenges at local and global scales.
- Develop highly marketable soft-skills such as team-management, leadership, and English communication.
Successful students will obtain MSc. Multiple National Degrees and a Joint FIPDes Diploma including a Joint Diploma Supplement which encapsulates the jointness and the uniqueness of the programme. The official language is English with ample opportunities to learn the local language and culture. In France some standard modules shared with national courses could be in French.
A specific website is available and rich in updated information: www.fipdes.eu
Modalités de contrôle des connaissances associées aux unités d'enseignement des S1 et S2
Accédez au détail des répartitions horaires Cours/TP/TD
- S1 - Semestre 1 FIPDes (AgroParisTech, France)
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Statistics Applied to Food Science and Technology 2 24h - 6h Food Process Engineering 3 21.5h 22.5h - Comprehensive Food Science and Analysis 5 22.5h 27h 4.5h French Language or Foreign Language for French Speaking Students 2 39h - - Introduction Module 1.5 12h 23h - Junior R&D Project 9 6h 6h 78h Transversal Innovation Project (I): Intercultural Intelligence, Project Management and Creativity 1.5 3h 31.5h - Sustainable Development for Food Products 1.5 14h 2.5h 3h Introduction to Formulation Engineering Applied to Food Products 1.5 9h 2h 5h
1 UE à choix
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Analytical Engineering for the Agri-Food Industries and the Environment 3 12h 4h 21h Structuring Food: Science and Technology 3 6h - 30h
- Tronc Commun
- S2 - Semestre 2 FIPDes (DIT, Ireland)
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Technology and Innovation Management 5 24h - - Food Regulatory Affairs 5 24h - - New Food Business Creation 5 24h - - Marketing Communication and Consumer Behaviour 5 24h - - Transversal innovation project (II): Food prototype development and evaluation 10 4h - 44h
UE supplémentaires ne comptant pas pour l'obtention du S2
Matières Ects Cours TD TP Non compulsory Summer Internship 5 1h - - Summer School 3 15h 1h 15h
- UE obligatoires
After the program, students will:
- Have developed personal, social, leadership and intellectual skills in a multidisciplinarity context of food innovation and product design
- Have a deep knowledge on and be able to apply the values of scholarship, inquiry, reflexion, integrity, openmindness, evidence-based thinking and collegiality
- Understand and be able to apply the principles and processes that underpin sustainable and innovative food development, including engineering, culinary, managerial and scientific aspects
- Have advanced and specific innovation and design knowledge in the field of healthy food, product and process engineering or packaging
- Be able to develop new knowledge or procedure and to integrate knowledge from different fields
- Get insight and awareness of the socio-economic environment and reflect on relationships between individuals, society and economy, providing a holistic overview of food innovation from local to global scale
- Get insight and awareness of industrial practices throughout the whole food supply chains, from raw materials to consumers
FIPDes provides top-level and up-to-date education in the sector of innovative food design, it builds solid knowledge in food science, technology and entrepreneurial skills.
FIPDes gives a culinary perspective to future food developers and focuses on food product design from raw materials to packaged products through sustainable design. FIPDes puts the students in a truly international and multidisciplinary environment with students from all over the world. FIPDes involves trainees in numerous projects with partners from the industrial and research field to develop key soft skills such as team-management, problem-solving and professional communication. Students, hence, learn working together without borders with a global and enlightened vision towards the food of tomorrow rooted in the values of sustainability and healthiness. The FIPDes programme is offered by a consortium of four European universities from France, Ireland, Italy and Sweden. FIPDes offers a truly integrated study programme fully recognized in all the participating countries. The first year of studies imparts to the students a broad knowledge of food science, technological and entrepreneurial skills. Students will attend half-year courses in France and Ireland. The second year will give them the opportunity to specialize in one of three well-defined options:
- Healthy Food Design (Italy)
- Food Design & Engineering (France)
- Food Packaging Design & Logistics (Sweden).
The MSc. Thesis focuses on R&D experimental subjects according to the students specialization and professional plans. After getting 120 ECTS from the FIPDes institutions, successful students will obtain MSc. Multiple National Degrees and a Joint FIPDes Diploma including a Joint Diploma Supplement.
First semester (M1): AgroParisTech (Massy, Paris, Grignon, France), member of Université Paris-Saclay
Second semester (M1): Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT, Dublin, Ireland)
Third semester (M2): 3 locations depending on specialization:
- AgroParisTech (Massy, Paris, Grignon, France : Food Design & Engineering)
- Lund University (Lund, Sweden: Food Packaging Design & Logistics)
- University of Napoli (UNINA, Naples, Italy: Healthy Food Design)
Fourth semester (M2): MSc. Thesis worldwide, according to third semester specialization and local rules.
FIPDes has strong links with laboratories, in each partner university.
For example: joint research units GENIAL (Massy, France) and GMPA (Grignon, France). Most of FIPDes teachers are members of these laboratories. Practical work and many Msc theses are carried out in these labs.
All consortium members are affiliated to research units, such as Design Department in Lund University or Department of Food Technology in Napoli University.
- Michigan State University, USA
- Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Australia
- Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- Indonesia International Institute for Life Sciences, Indonesia
- São Paulo University, Brazil
- Hanyang University, South Korea
- Teagasc, Ireland
- Insituto di Scienze dell’Alimentazione-CNR, Italy
- INRA, France
- Chaire ANCA, France
FIPDes Academic Associate Partners are involved at different stages and moments of the FIPDes activities:
- Dissemination and advisory activities for internal FIPDes candidates.
- Teaching and tutoring during FIPDes modules and projects.
- External Quality Assessment.
- Participation to the Summer School and Introduction Module.
- Offering positions for Summer and Master thesis internships.
- Setting up joint MSc thesis subjects in the frame of collaborative research projects with the FIPDes Universities.
Social and economic partners
FIPDes is supported by an international network of more than 20 strategic partners from academic, research and industrial bodies. They act in training, promoting, sponsoring and advisory activities to make FIPDes a professional training programme adapted to today’s and tomorrow’s market needs.
Industrial partners are deeply involved in FIPDes as they can:
- Hire operational talents at global scale with a unique profile and international experience.
- Cooperate in various ways with the outstanding FIPDes programme during Junior projects, Master thesis, trainings, internships and the FIPDes Day.
- Benefit from students trained in at least three outstanding EU universities and with excellent technical, English communication and soft skills.
- Create customized training to comply with recruitment requirements in countries or zones of interest.
- Benefit from technological transfer and forefront innovation projects.
- Sponsor FIPDes and benefit of an increased visibility in more than 100 countries.
FIPDes graduates work worldwide. They get jobs in different sectors of food innovation such as research, product development and entrepreneurship. They can act at each level of the supply chain and get extremely diverse positions from consultant to CEO. FIPDes alumni act at corporate, SME or institutional level.
“The strong scientific character together with the business (managerial and marketing) approach and hands-on learning along the entire program it’s certainly unique. You will have access to fully equipped professional kitchens, helped by top professional chefs, and the most advance research labs. You will carry out projects proposed by leading food Companies working side by side with them in interdisciplinary groups. In addition, you will live in different European countries and will share amazing experiences with students from all over the world.”
Alberto G. (FIPDes graduate 2011-2013)
FIPDes adopts a holistic and cross-disciplinary approach to food innovation: from concept through prototypes to consumption, from raw materials to packaged goods. Scientific, technical, entrepreneurial and culinary knowledge is applied at many scales, from the research labs to the pilot plants.
First year: modules, projects and summer school in France and Ireland + Summer Internships Worldwide
Students attend courses in Paris (France) and Dublin (Ireland)
They acquire cutting-edge knowledge in food science and technology, sustainability, culinary innovation and business. Students undertake open-innovation projects such as the Junior Projects (engineering oriented) or the Food Prototype module (culinary oriented) and finally participate in a showcase challenge. The Joint FIPDes Summer School provides students with advanced sensory and consumer science modules and tutorials, while the international summer internship allows them to experience a new professional environment.
Second year: students specialize in one of three options in France, Italy or Sweden, + MSc. Thesis Worldwide
- Healthy Food Design Italy
- Food Design & Engineering France
- Food Packaging Design Sweden
Students increase autonomy and enquiry attitudes, learn by doing team work, research-oriented projects and hands-on training. During the fourth semester, they carry out the FIPDes MSc Thesis according to the specialization path and their professional plans, leading to an industrial or research-based placement in international private bodies or academic laboratories.
Throughout the Master programme, students participate in numerous transversal activities which allow them to share and build new knowledge from different perspectives and different places, continuously interacting with alumni, local students, professionals and teaching staff (Introduction modules, FIPDes Day, transversal innovation modules, innovation challenges or IT-based sharing platforms).
Double or triple National MSc degree + Joint FIPDes Diploma
After acquiring 120 ECTS, successful students obtain fully recognized double or triple MSc degree from the highly renowned European Partner Universities, a Joint FIPDes Diploma and a Joint Diploma Supplement which encapsulate the uniqueness of the programme.
FIPDes degrees awarded to the students at the end of the programme:
- Master Nutrition et Science des Aliments, parcours FIPDes (Master in Nutrition and Food Sciences, study track FIPDes) Université Paris Saclay, operated by AgroParisTech
- M.Sc. in Culinary Innovation, DIT
- Joint Diploma in Food Innovation & Product Design
- Joint Diploma Supplement
Students chosen special mobility track:
- Corso di laurea in Scienze e Tecnologie Alimentari (Master in Food science and technology) of UNINA, Italy
- Master of Science of Lund University, Sweden
FIPDes graduates will thus join the international family of FIPDes Alumni Association (FIPDA).
FIPDes is an outstanding 2-year integrated academic programme in the field of food science and product development.
It aims to qualify graduates to deal with the growing challenges in food innovation.
In this course four academic institutions collaborate intensively to offer joint study modules in addition to their existing curricula:
- AgroParisTech member of Université Paris-Saclay (France)
- University “Federico II” of Naples (Italy)
- Lund University (Sweden)
- Dublin Institute of Technology (Ireland)
The master FIPDes is open to international public from all around the world.
After its fifth cohort, it trained more than 100 students from 50 different nationalities and only two French students! It is governed by a consortium of 4 European Higher Education Institutions (AgroParisTech, Univeristy of Naples Federico II, Dublin Institute of Technology and Lund University).
FIPDes delivers multiple diploma and a diploma supplement from FIPDes, which explains the totalilty of training with 4 blocks of international mobility. The program also generates a large flow of invited teachers.
For more information go to: www.fipdes.eu
All information regarding the application procedure are available here.
All information regarding the Erasmus Mundus scholarships are available here.
Erasmus Mundus scholarships are only available for the first round of applications. So you have to apply before January 15th, 2018 if you want to apply for the Erasmus Mundus scholarships. The second round might not open this year. Please check our website (www.fipdes.eu) regularly (from March 2018) to see if the second tound will open or not.
Admission rules and time-frame:
First round: OPEN - Apply here!
- apply online: before January 15th, 2018, 12:00 (noon, CET)
- eligibility check: February 2018
- selection step: end of March 2018
There is just one selection procedure for both years of FIPDes. When selected, students are admitted to first year (=M1) and the second year (= M2), that are inseparable – under the condition of passing all the exams from the first year. Students thus cannot be directly admitted to the FIPDes M2 without the interrelated FIPDes M1.
International mobility to at least 2 out of the 4 FIPDes European High Education Institutions is compulsory.