The doctoral school
The Doctoral School, or "École Doctorale Physique en Île-de-France", is formally hosted by
and driven jointly with the universities:
The broad scientific scope of the EDPIF includes the physics of fundamental interactions, quantum physics of dilute or condensed matter, statistical physics, soft matter and biophysics, as well as fundamental topics in optics, acoustics and hydrodynamics.
Though the School is oriented toward both experimental and theoretical fundamental physics, it is nevertheless open to related applications.
The EDPIF hosts more than 500 PhD candidates preparing their doctorate in its 40 laboratories throughout the Paris region (both center and south area), and comprises more than 800 researchers involved in thesis supervision.
More details at : https://www.edpif.org/fr/edpif/index.php
PhD proposals are accessible through the French version of this page
registration at EDPIF
This aprt is dedicated to the admission and registration of PhD students
The admission to the doctoral school Physique en Ile de France is carried out in 2 ways :
-) admission via the doctoral school competition
-) run-of-the-river admission
Admission via the doctoral school competition
Thesis proposals are visible : here.
Candidates can apply to this proposals : here.
Applicants must uplaod a number of documents. This must be done before the deadline, May 4 at midnight in 2018. Candidates admitted to the hearing are selected on the basis of their files in mid-May and the hearing takes place in Paris at the beginning of June, on 5 and 6 June in 2018. The results are validated by the ED board a few days later, on June 8 in 2018. The candidates are then informed of the result.
Once admitted, candidates will be able to register administratively at the beginning of the academic year.
In order to comply with the rules of the Université Paris-Saclay, candidates must pass an oral exam in front of an audition committee. This audition committee is made up of at least 2 senior persons (the thesis supervisor cannot be one of these 2 persons).
The hearing shall consist of:
10 minutes of presentation by the candidate of his/her titles and works as well as a brief description of his/her thesis subject.
5 minutes of questions by the committee.
At the end, the committee writes a report whose model is downloadable here (in French). The committee sends the report to Claude Pasquier, deputy-director of the doctoral school.
Registration in 1st year
Steps to follow :
- to be admitted at the Ecole doctorale (please check the admission page)
- register at the University Paris-Saclay via the ADUM portal which will generate the necessary documents for your administrative registration.
- also fill in your form on the EDPIF website.
Your administrative registration will be at the Ecole Polytechnique for doctoral students at the Ecole Polytechnique and with funding from the Ecole Polytechnique or one of the laboratories at the Ecole Polytechnique, and at the Université Paris-Sud for the others.
- You are part of one of the few multi-site doctoral schools, i.e. one that straddles several universities. By default, ADUM tends to consider that your doctoral school is'Paris-Saclay only' and therefore some procedures are not quite the same as in other doctoral schools.
- Unfortunately, you will often have to rewrite the same thing twice on the ADUM and EDPIF sites, all computerized.
You will find many informations in the EDPIF Doctorant guide.
In a first step, create your account on the ADUM platform : ADUM and "créer un compte".
Once this is done, please fill in all that is asked of you.
If some items are too complex to complete at this time, write NA.
Of course, fill everything concerning the title of your PhD, the name of your supervisor, the lab...
1) You ares asked to upload many documents. Feel free to ask your supervisor for help since many parts are in French.
2) You can then download, print the paper documents and have the 3 documents signed :
- formulaire d'inscription,
- convention de formation,
- charte du doctorant.
To obtain the signature of the doctoral school's management, you can send these documents by post (not very recommended) to :Université Paris-Sud
LPS - Bât. 510
Mme Sabine Hoarau
91405 ORSAY Cédex
Other possibility : make an appointment with C.Pasquier to sign the documents using the spreadsheet.
The inscriptions at Université Paris-Sud will be from 03/09/2018 to XX/12/2018 : HERE.(In French)
Registration 2nd year
1) Make sure that you have organized your follow-up committee well at the end of the first year of your thesis and that you have written your first year scientific report. The blank documents are available on your page on the EDPIF website. If you are unable to upload the report of the follow-up committee, please send it, in pdf format, to Sabine Hoarau : mail.
2) Visit your personal account on ADUM. Generate the files that have to be signed :
- Autorisation d'inscription
- Convention de formation
sign them, ask your thesis supervisor and lab director to do so.
3) Take an appointment with C.Pasquier for the signature of the documents using the spreadsheet.
Registrations at Université Paris-Sud will occur between 03/09/2018 and XX/12/2018 : HERE (in French).
Registration 3rd year
1) Make sure that you have organized your follow-up committee well at the end of the second year of your thesis and that you have written your second year scientific report. The blank documents are available on your page on the EDPIF website. If you are unable to upload the report of the monitoring committee, please send it, in pdf format, to Sabine Hoarau: mail.
2) Visit your persona page on ADUM. Generate the files to be signed :
- Autorisation d'inscription
- Convention de formation (only if you register at Ecole Polytechnique or things have changed during the past year)
sign them, ask your supervisor and ab director to do so.
3) Take an appointment with Ms Véronique Terras for the signature of the documents.
Registrations at Université Paris-Sud will occur between 03/09/2018 and XX/12/2018 : HERE.
Registration 4th year
Re-registration in 4th year is compulsory for any doctoral student whose defence is later than after 1 September 2018.
Follow-up committee :
- If the referees are appointed before 20 July (and therefore the manuscript is completed by that date !) : no follow-up committee.
- If the defense is scheduled beyond October 1st : a follow-up committee at the end of the 3rd year must be organized to ensure if the defense is before or after Christmas 2018.
1) Make sure that you have organised your follow-up committee at the end of the third year of your thesis (if necessary, see above) and that you have written your report at the end of the third year. If you are unable to upload the follow-up committee report, please send it in pdf format to Sabine Hoarau : mail.
2) Go to your personal ADUM page. Generate the files to be signed (ony the 'autorisation d'inscription'). Warning, the files are different if the defense is scheduled before the end of 2018 or in 2019.
3) make an appointment with Claude Pasquier to sign the documents using the spreadsheet here.
Registration at Université Paris-Sud will occur between 03/09/2018 and XX/12/2018 : HERE (in French).
The thesis defense procedure at the University Paris-Saclay is detailed on the page of the University Paris-Saclay : PhD defense
Please note that the first steps begin three months at the latest before the planned date of defense.
The person from the doctoral school to contact for your thesis defense is, by default, Claude Pasquier. For doctoral students who started their thesis in 2016-2017, they should contact Ms Véronique Terras.
The reference documents for the definition of the rapporteurs, the jury and others are here.
There are 3 documents to print and have signed:
1) Désignation des rapporteurs
2) Proposition de jury
3) Autorisation de soutenance
They are generated by triggering the defense procedure on your account on the ADUM-Paris-Saclay website. The appointment of the rapporteurs must be signed when your thesis is written, before sending it to the rapporteurs. The jury proposal can be signed at the same time. The authorization for the defense can only be signed when the reports have been received by Claude Pasquier or Véronique Terras. If the jury proposal was not signed the first time, it must be signed at the same time as the authorization for the defense.
Help to better predict the respective dates of submission of the choice of rapporteurs, the authorization of defense and the date of the defense itself is available here, tab 'soutenance/defence' (bottom/left of the spreadsheet).
- A defense from September 1st requires a re-registration in 4th year
- The authorization of defense must be signed 4 weeks before the date of defense.
- At least half of the jury members must be outside Paris-Saclay (and outside the ED perimeter). No derogation will be granted for rapporteurs.
- The community of the doctoral school supervisors consists of barely 30% women for experimenters and less than 10% among theorists. For theoretical doctoral students, the presence of a woman among the jury members is strongly encouraged. For experimentalist doctoral students, the jury must include at least one woman for a jury of 4 to 6 members and 2 women for a jury of 7 or 8 members.
- Your thesis may be written in English. In this case, it must include a summary of at least 4 pages in French (ask help to your supervisor!).
- Avoid starting a post-doc abroad or starting your new job 3 days after the defense. Indeed, after the defense, you must submit your second version of the thesis so-called "second dépôt" (the final version of your manuscript) on ADUM. The doctoral degree certificate can only be given to you when this second deposit is made. A delay of a good week after the defense is therefore necessary to obtain it. This document can sometimes be crucial to start your new work or even cross some borders. Thank you for taking that into account.
- When you have finished your thesis, remember to update your contact information on your EDPIF form as well as your ADUM form. The doctoral school is evaluated and we need to know what you do after your thesis.