Health coverage: a compulsory requirement
French law requires all individuals living in France to have health insurance
This health insurance covers medical expenses, such as doctor visits, prescription medication, hospitalisation, surgery, etc.
Your age and conditions of your stay in France will determine which of these following requirements is applicable for you. You either must:
- Join the French social security system (Sécurité Sociale, commonly known as “la Sécu”) to be covered by health insurance, or;
- Remain affiliated to the social security system of your previous country of residence (make sure it will cover your medical expenses in France), or;
- Take out a health insurance in France, or;
- Take out a health insurance in your country of residence.
It is compulsory that you arrive in France with civil liability insurance and healthcare covering repatriation
- If you are a national or a resident of a European Economic Area member country, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will only cover your healthcare expenses.
- If you are a national of a country that has signed a Social Security Convention with France (link in French), please refer to the CLEISS website to find out if you are covered or ask your health insurance carrier.
We strongly advise you to take out a private insurance for the 4-month period following your arrival while completing the French social security application: registration may take several weeks. Check with the insurance company the terms and conditions of the coverage you have chosen. Make sure that your insurance guarantees repatriation and that you are covered by a civil liability insurance. If you are coming to France for a stay of over 3 months, you can choose later on the health coverage that best suits your needs and situation.
Type of insurances
For students, interns, PhD students holding a scholarship and their family members (spouse and/or children):
- ACS Assurances offers the ABC health coverage scheme;
PhD students and researchers with a French employment contract and their families:
- The Fondation nationale Alfred Kastler (FnAK) provides an insurance that suits your situation. For more information, visit the FnAK website.
- ACS Assurances offers the EFE health coverage scheme
Before undertaking any procedure by yourself, we strongly advise you to contact your institution.
If you are a researcher and are accompanied by your family, please inform your institution.