Getting started

Timetable of procedures

Depending on your nationality, your country of residence, your high school diploma and the level of studies you want to join, the application process may differ in France. Feel free to check out the Website of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation to know more.

  • “Parcoursup” to apply for 1st year : Parcoursup is the French national platform dedicated to first-year enrollment for a Bachelor's degree.
  • The "Demande d'Admission Préalable - DAP" (preliminary request for admission) applies to all foreign students wishing to enrol in the first year of Bachelor's at a university or in school of architecture. It is mandatory for the non-European foreign students.
  • The "Etudes en France" (Studying in France) procedure involves Foreign students residing in one of the following 44 countries : Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, the Republic of the Congo, South Korea, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, United States, Gabon, Guinea, Haïti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mexico, Nigeria, Peru, Democratic Republic of Congo, Senegal, Russia, Taiwan, Tchad, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey and Vietnam. If you live in one of these countries, the "Etudes en France " procedure is mandatory to enroll in French Higher education. It is conducted online, from the enrollment request to obtaining a visa.

If you want to join the French higher education system in 2020-2021, here are the important timetables :


    Start of registrations : 22 January 2020
    Complete your list of academic choices before : 12 March 2020 included
    Complete your file before : 2nd April 2020 included

DAP – “Demande d’Admission Préalable” (preliminary request for admission)

    Registrations open on  1st November 2019
    Registrations close on 17 January 2020

Your application will be examined at the same time by the universities you have requested.

    University response and proposals for acceptance : before 30 April 2020
    If it occurs, universities will share with you exemptions from which you may benefit.
    Student response : before 7 May 2020
    If you have received several acceptance proposals, you will have to make a choice.
    Attention, if you do not answer before 7 May, the absence of answer will be condidered as a refusal.




Cost of living

In the Paris area, forecast a monthly budget €700 - €900 to cover your expenses. Be aware that the first month you will have to :

  • pay the deposit (equal to one month’s rent) which you will get back when you leave after inspection of the room/flat;
  • pay from one to three months’ rent in advance if you rent private accommodation;
  • pay for mandatory housing insurance;
  • if applicable, pay for student social security, and select, sign up for, and settle up your private health insurance.

Private landlords will often require a guarantor in France i.e a person vouching to pay rent for you if you cannot do so.
If you are non-European, you will have to buy a € 60 excise stamp to obtain a residence permit unless you have reached France with a VLSTS.
Our advice is to plan on a higher budget for the first month.


As an international student within an exchange program, you are entitled to accommodation in a CROUS student hall of residence close to the campus. Accommodation offered is for one person (couples are not allowed)

Requests for accommodation reservations can only be made online. Complete this form:

If you don't have a european guarantor for your accomodation, you can apply for free on the following website :
Be careful : the procedure can take up to 3 weeks

Entry Visa procedure for non-europeans

If you are not a citizen from a European country (EU or EEA), from Andorra or Switzerland, please contact the French consulate or Embassy of your country of residence to apply for a student visa at least 3 months before your departure. A student visa typically lasts one year.

Health protection

1. If you are a citizen from a European country (EU or EEA) : before your arrival in France, you should hold a valid European health card in your country. Its validity should cover the duration of your studies in France. You would be exempted from registering with the student health scheme in France.
2. If you are coming from Quebec: before your departure, fill in the Se 401-Q-106 form valid for the duration of your studies in France. You will then be exempted from registering with the student health scheme in France
3. If you are under 28 and a citizen from a non-European country : you will be required to register on the health scheme in France ( ) to get a French social security number for which you need to provide a birth certificate translated into French by a certified translator.
4. If you are over 28 you need to subscribe to a private health insurance in your home country or in France.

Documents to bring along

  • Valid identification document : identity card, passport;
  • Student card from your home university;
  • Most recent diploma or the highest one acquired (original and copies) translated into French by a certified translator;
  • A birth certificate translated into French by a certified translator;
  • A proof of income such as a scholarship certificate.


At your Arrival

Contact the International Relations Office

At your arrival, please go to either the International Relations Office or the International Relations Office of the faculty/ school/ institute you are attending courses at. A welcome kit will be given to you and you will get all the information you need.

Registration at Université Paris-Saclay

You will be given an appointment to proceed with administrative registration and get your student card.
Please bring along the requested documents (including a liability insurance proof which is compulsory).

French as a foreign language courses

From October to May, you may attend a weekly 2-hour French course. Erasmus students will have a intensive french courses week during the first semester.

GATE: “Guichet d’Accueil des Talents Etrangers”

An information point at building 311 (Orsay campus) offers help for your installation in France, from August 26th to December 20th 2019. You can come from Monday to Friday between 9am to 13pm and 14pm to 16pm.


The Paris metropolitan region is divided into 5 zones: Zone 1 corresponds to Paris, and Zones 2, 3, 4 & 5 to the suburbs.

You can travel to the campuses of Université Paris-Saclay by RER B/C and D trains. These campuses are located either in Zone 3 (Stops: Arcueil-Cachan, Sceaux, Fontenay-aux-Roses, Robinson) or in Zone 5 (Stops: Le Guichet, Orsay-ville, Bures-sur-Yvette). Faculty of medicine campus at Kremlin-Bicêtre is serviced by Line 7 «La Courneuve – Villejuif » of the Parisian Metro, and is located in Zone 1.

To help you prepare your travels, you can use the website or the application Vianavigo.