Are you looking for accommodation around Paris or in the Saclay area? The sooner you start, the better. Below you will find information that will help you find a temporary or a permanent accomodation and understand what to expect from living in France.


Finding a permanent accomodation prior to your arrival in France would be ideal. However, if you would rather visit apartments and discover their surroundings before you settle in, you can always book a temporary accommodation.


Real Estate prices in & around Paris

The following list of the average prices in Paris (for the year 2016) and 4 cities around the campus (Orsay, Bures-sur-Yvette, Gif-sur-Yvette and Palaiseau) will help you get an idea about the current Real Estate market – source Lacoteimmo. :

  • Apartment rentals: the average monthly rent for a single bedroom apartment (20m2) is between €600 and €800 in Paris, Orsay, Bures-sur-Yvette and Gif-sur-Yvette, and between €500 and €600 in Palaiseau.
  • House rentals: average rental price is €14/m2 in Orsay, €15/m2 in Bures-sur-Yvette and Gif-sur-Yvette, and €16.7/m2 in Palaiseau.
  • Apartments for sale: the average price is €8 290/m2 in Paris, €3 603/m2 in Orsay, €3 421/m2 in Bures-sur-Yvette, €3 510/m2 in Gif-sur-Yvette and €3 053/m2 in Palaiseau.
  • Houses for sale: the average price is €3 210/m2 in Orsay, €3 368/m2 in Bures-sur-Yvette, €3 423€/m2 in Gif-sur-Yvette and €3 573€/m2 in Palaiseau.

An interactive map of Real Estate prices is available on LaCoteImmo

The above-mentioned cities are located in the vicinity of the university campus and close to the RER stations (line B). If you are considering settling in other areas of Paris or the southern part of Île-de-France, make sure that the line B of the RER is easily accessible. If you are enrolled at Université de Versailles St-Quentin-en-Yvelines, southwestern Paris and the surrounding area of Versailles are a good alternative, but do not forget to check the public transportation options from and to UVSQ.


Our partners on the Saclay plateau

Students can contact the following services:

  • Héberjeunes provides students with housing services. It is located on the Paris-Sud university campus.
  • The CROUS of Versailles (In French only) manages our housing offer. Currently 6 student residences are located on the university’s campus. 
  • The Crous of Créteil provides students with residences on the Val de Marne campus, Cachan campus and in Créteil (department 94).  

PhD students and researchers can contact the following services:

  • Science Accueil provides researchers, PhD students and interns with assistance in finding furnished accomodations with listings of more than 3 000 accomodations near campus.

Please note that some institutions have their own accommodation program, such as HEC, l'Ecole polytechnique and ENSTA ParisTech. If you are a student of one of these three institutions, they will directly inform you regarding accommodation. 

In any case, we recommend that you contact your institution’s staff before applying for an accommodation with the CROUS: some institutions benefit from an agreement with the CROUS, making it easier for students to have access to an accommodation, provided there are available places when applying.

If you hold a scholarship that is being administered by Campus France do not hesitate to contact them to benefit from their assistance in looking for an accommodation.


Relocation companies

We have selected a number of relocation companies for you. Please note that the University does not have any type of agreement with these companies.

Companies in the region:

International companies:


Projects to come

By 2020 more than 5 500 housing units for students and PhD students will be built on campus.

As of the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year, these units will be allocated through a single reservation website which will be managed by the CROUS and open to all students of a Paris-Saclay member institution. The allocation of these units will depend on the specific criteria of each member institution.


Main search options

  • Classified ads in shops and local newspapers
  • Real Estate agencies such as those represented in the Fnaim (in French)
  • Websites gathering rental ads published by owners such as, or (all in French). Please note that you may have to pay in order to access the list of ads
  • Extended-stay hotels such as Le Coupières in Gif-sur-Yvette.

There is also a very large offer of independent rooms or studios in Gif-sur-Yvette, Bures-sur-Yvette, Orsay and Palaiseau.


Accomodations for students and young professionals

There are several options available to students and young professionals:

For more information, please refer to the guide “Se loger à Paris” (PDF - in French) or the mairie de Paris website.


Temporary accommodation

A temporary accommodation allows you to take your time and search for an appropriate permanent place where you will settle in.

There are several options:

Hotels near the Saclay plateau (do not hesitate to contact them to find out their rates): Le Coupières offers rooms with kitchenette from €55/night.

Extended-stay hotels:

Temporary housing for young professionals: ALFI offers individual furnished studios granting entitlement to personal housing benefit to tenants. This personal housing benefit is called Aide Personnalisée au Logement (APL) and it is granted by the Caisse d’Allocations Familiales (CAF) – a family allocations office. More information about the APL below.

Youth hostels:


Please note

There is nothing to pay before you have visited the property and signed a lease unless you search for accommodation through a rental by an owner agency (see above). Be wary of over-attractive ads to avoid scams. Do not hesitate to contact Science Accueil or the services of your member institution to seek housing assistance.

Schedule an appointment as soon as possible, especially in Paris. If you do not speak French, being accompanied by a French speaker is recommended. 

The demand for housing around Paris and Saclay is very high, especially in September and October, hence being first in line does not guarantee you will get the new home. You must be convincing - expect to include detailed personal information about your job and your financial situation in your application dossier and answer personal questions. You will need to submit your dossier to the landlord if you wish to be considered a prospective tenant.

Please note that the landlord will ask for a guarantor (“caution” or “garant” in French) who would pay the rent in case you are not able to do so. This guarantor has to live and work in France. For more information on this and other matters regarding rental applications, refer to the list of compulsory documents in an application dossier (PDF), our housing glossary (PDF) and the Caution locative étudiante (Clé) - see below.


First month of rental and the costs you will incur while moving

Upon arrival in your accommodation you will have to pay a substantial sum of money, which includes:

  • Agency fees,
  • The first month of rent,
  • The security deposit (up to 2 months’ rent for a furnished apartment),
  • Utilities (electricity, gas, phone and internet bills),
  • House insurance

Please note

  • For a single bedroom apartment (20m2) in Paris you may have to pays up to €2 500.
  • You will have to sign a lease and do an initial inventory (“état des lieux” in French).
  • If you rent a subsidized apartment (signed agreement between the landlord and the State) you may ask for an Aide personnalisée au logement (APL) or rent allowance to your local Caisse d’Allocations Familiales (CAF). More information about the APL below.


New: the VISALE guarantee

Starting the 2018-2019 academic year, the Clé (student rent deposit) guarantee becomes the VISALE.

The VISALE is a State guarantee that enables students (Undergraduate, Graduate and PhD) without a personal guarantor to have easy access to an accommodation. Please note that agencies and landlords do not accept guarantors who are not domiciled in France.

The VISALE guarantee can benefit all students who:

  • have an income but do not have access to any personal guarantor;
  • are seeking an accommodation in France for study or research purposes;
  • have a valid passport or ID (EU/EEA nationals);
  • have a valid visa or residence permit (non EU-EEA nationals); 
  • have a proof of registration or pre-registration at a French higher education institution (certificat de scolarité or student ID card);
  • are under 28 years old on September 1st during the year the lease was signed,
  • are over 18 and under 30 years old on the date the lease is lease is being signed. 

For more information about the VISALE and to submit an application refer to the VISALE website (in French) and the video tutorials (in French).


The Aide personnalisée au logement (APL)

The Aide personnalisée au logement or allowance program is a financial aid aimed at helping you pay your rent. You can qualify for an APL if you respond to certain criteria and if your accommodation is subsidized (if an agreement has been signed between your landlord and the State). Do not hesitate to ask your potential landlord about this.

The APL application must be made promptly upon settling in your accommodation. The right to housing allowance starts the second month of your lease.

For more information and to apply for an APL, visit the Caisse d’Allocation Familiale website (in French).

Download the list of required documents for an APL application.


For further information on housing in France and Paris, please check: